Thursday 14 March 2013

I wear my heart on my sleeve

In this case, quite literally.

February 22nd was very much a day of needles.

In the morning, I endured five hours of tattooing to start on my sleeve, and in the afternoon I had my final jab of Zoladex --- EVER.

Looking back, I have come to realise that it's almost somewhat symbolic.

I have this tattoo to symbolise my struggles and the strength I've gained from my Endo, and then I undergo the final course of a drug which I have struggled with and have required strength to continue fighting.

I thought I might do a bit of explaining as to why this particular image resonates with me enough to have it permanently etched onto my arm.

With all my tattoos, they have meaning and tell a story - But I've chosen to do them in such a way that to anyone just taking them for face value would think "Oh, that's interesting/that's cool" and not have any clue as to the symbolism behind them.

For instance:

The small Celtic cross located between my shoulder blades.
I got this when I was 18. It was my 18th birthday present to myself.
Anyone who looks at it immediately thinks it's some form of tribal butterfly.
It absolutely does look like that. Which is one of the one reasons I love it - Butterflies symbolise change.
But the reason behind such a varied style of a Celtic cross is because I'm half Irish.
Not watered down half Irish. Legitimately half Irish.
Having said that, I don't identify too strongly with my Celtic roots, so that was my way of honoring them, without it being overly obvious.

The roses, vine and ladybug on my ribcage.
Again, another birthday present to myself. This time, my 21st.
It is what it looks like. Roses, on a vine, with a ladybug on one of the leaves.
I have two fully blossomed roses, one partially blossomed and one rosebud.
There is a rose each for my daughters father and I. The partially blossomed rose to symbolise my daughter and a rosebud as a symbol of our new life.
The ladybug was another little symbol for my daughter, as the minute we found out I was carrying a girl, she was nicknamed 'Edde-Bug' and I've been collecting ladybug paraphenalia ever since.
The vine is a symbol of the journey ahead of us as parents.

The Braille on my inner left bicep
"Trust your struggle".
I had this inked in Braille as it was symbolic to how blind the doctors and everyone around me (myself included) are when it comes to the struggles that we face as Endo sufferers.
I chose to get it on my bicep as, obviously, flashing  your biceps is what you do when you want to show someone how strong you are.
At the time leading up to, and including, when I got this particular tattoo, I was going through a rough patch, feeling pretty worthless and wondering why I was even bothering... It was just proving too difficult.
I got this as a reminder that no matter how hard things get, we are only ever given as much as we can handle and that it's all for a reason.

The latest addition!

Rosie the Riveter and two roses

The best picture I could take by myself!
This was the unbelievable amazing donation by Jeremy Gill of Tattoo Machine on Dixon Street here in Wellington.
I've spoken about this tattoo in a previous post, and now I have it and I couldn't be happier.
I love her.
Now, Rosie the Riveter was the image used in the early 1940s as the poster girl for women in the male workforce while the men were away fighting in WWII.
The reason I chose this particular image is because for me, she is the epitome of female strength when times were tough and a symbol for female empowerment.
The original poster shows Rosie with a speech bubble saying "We Can Do It"  - And whereas this is pertaining to covering vacancies left by men fighting at war, can very easily be translated to the situation I find myself in on a daily basis.
"This is too hard" - I CAN DO IT
The roses, I got two of them - One for each ovary - But also as a symbol of love.
In this instance, it's self love - Something I struggle with hugely.

As I previously stated, I love her.
I am so so happy with this latest addition and I have absolutely no regrets.
I will forever be grateful to Gil for his talents and time and for the compassion and kindness he has shown me.

Until next time,

Love and Sunshine,




Serenity
xx

1 comment:

  1. Dear Friend that I have not met, but have felt angry with, felt sad with and felt a nervous, kind of excitment with.
    I wish you so much luck with the job and hope it is everything and more than you could imagine. I understand, with you, the feeling (or lack there of) of love or even like for ourselves.
    I will make you a deal, I will love you, (and even like you), enough to get you through these tough, dark, lifeless and un-yeilding days, for however long you need, whenever you need and take one weight off you shoulders. I will do this for you until you can have the space and peace in your heart to love yourself. Please do not ever feel that you are doing this by yourself as you have so many friends there for you, to take the weight of your load, long enough for you to get your feet back on the ground and running your race again.
    You are an inspiration and a woman of great strength, one day I know you will love and appreciate all that you have done for yourself.

    Take strength, keep strong ....

    Kerryn ♥

    ReplyDelete